Porcelain Veneers Can Bring Balance to Your Smile
Chipped, cracked, gapped, or discolored teeth can diminish the appearance of a smile. Moreover, these cosmetic flaws can leave you feeling self-conscious or embarrassed about smiling or laughing in public. Fortunately, porcelain veneers can conceal these imperfections and deliver a more balanced and uniform smile in two appointments or less.
At Emmanuel Dental P.A. in Richardson, TX, Dr. Pramod Thomas uses these custom restorations to deliver top-tier, personalized results for our patients. With over 20 years of experience in restorative dentistry, he can help you enhance and preserve your smile for many years to come.
Exploring the Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers are one of the most common cosmetic treatments in dentistry today. Few aesthetic procedures can offer the lifelike results that veneers can achieve. In fact, these restorations offer a number of advantages compared to alternative options. For example, veneers:
- Conceal surface blemishes, such as hairline fractures, chips, and deep intrinsic stains
- Alter the shape and size of teeth
- Mimic the translucency and texture of natural teeth
- Resist stains
- Offer longer-lasting results than dental bonding
- Are generally more affordable than dental crowns
- Can provide immediate realignment of a crooked smile for qualifying patients
- Require less reduction of natural tooth structure than dental crowns
- Enhance your smile and boost your confidence
Are You a Candidate?
Because veneers are a cosmetic solution, candidates for the procedure must be in good oral health. This means that any existing tooth decay or gum disease must be addressed prior to the placement of your new restorations. Furthermore, qualifying patients must have sufficient enamel, as some of the tooth must be shaved down during the preparation process. Finally, individuals must be fully committed to routine dental visits as well as practicing excellent oral hygiene habits at home.
If you grind or clench your teeth, you may not be eligible for porcelain veneers.
If you grind or clench your teeth, you may not be eligible for porcelain veneers. While aesthetically pleasing, veneers are not as strong as dental crowns and can fracture chip when exposed to excessive force. However, this type of treatment may be possible if your bruxism is treated with a custom oral appliance to protect your teeth at night when unconscious grinding is most common.
What to Expect during the Placement Process
In most cases, we can place your veneers in two office visits. The procedure is typically broken down into several steps:
- Tooth preparation: To begin, the doctor removes small amounts of enamel from the front surfaces of the teeth to make room for the veneers and increase the bonding surface so that the restorations can adhere to the tooth as strongly as possible.
- Impressions: Once the teeth are fully prepared, we can take impressions. These are then shipped to a dental lab, where a trained ceramist uses them to create your customized veneer. This process usually takes two to four weeks, depending on the complexity of your case.
- Temporary veneers: In the meantime, your dentist may place a temporary veneer. These will protect the teeth while you wait for your final restorations.
- Placement of final veneers: Once your veneer has been fabricated, we schedule you for a second visit at our office. During this appointment, the doctor removes the temporary, makes sure that the permanent veneer fits comfortably, and then attaches it to the tooth.
Build a Brighter Smile Today
If you are ready to enhance your smile and boost your confidence, schedule a visit to learn more about porcelain veneers. Contact us online or give us a call at (972) 238-7233.